Ethanol Quick Facts
- Ethanol reduces greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles.
- Ethanol fuel reduces our dependence on foreign oil.
- Over 4 billion gallons of ethanol are produced in the U.S. each year and many new plants are currently under construction.
- One bushel of corn yields 2.8 gallons of ethanol from dry mill ethanol plants.
- Illinois is one of the leading producers of ethanol in the U.S.
- Illinois turns out over 1 billion bushels of corn each year, of which 1/6 is used to produce ethanol.
- About 90 percent of the gasoline sold in Illinois contains 10 percent ethanol.
- All cars sold in the U.S. are factory warranted for the use of gasoline containing up to 10 percent ethanol.
- E-85 fuel is composed of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline.
- There is currently no Illinois sales tax on E-85.
- Illinois uses about 470 million gallons of ethanol for fuel each year.
- Over 30 percent of all gasoline sold in the U.S. contains ethanol.
Biodiesel Quick Facts
- Illinois mostly uses soybean oil in its biodiesel production.
- There is no Illinois sales tax on biodiesel blends greater than 10%.
- One bushel of soybeans yields about 1.5 gallons of biodiesel.
- Pure biodiesel (100% biodiesel or B100) can be used in some engines with little or no modification.
- B5 (5% biodiesel, 95% petroleum diesel) can be used in almost any diesel engine without modification. Be sure to consult your OEM and engine warranty statement before filling up.
- Biodiesel increases engine performance by smoothing the engine and reducing engine wear by as much as one half.
- Biodiesel is safe on the environment due to its biodegradability and reduction in serious air pollutants.
- B100 reduces carbon dioxide emissions by more than 75 percent. B20 yields a 15 percent reduction in carbon dioxide emissions.
- In 2005, 75 million gallons of biodiesel were sold in the U.S., up from 25 million in 2004.
Links for more information
National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition
Illinois Corn Growers Association
National Corn Growers Association
Governors' Ethanol Coalition
Renewable Fuels Association
National Biodiesel Board
Illinois Soybean Association