Public Act 92-0022 includes the following provisions:
• All telecommunications carriers are required to annually notify their customers via paper or electronically notify their customers via paper or electronic insert or message that they may elect to participate in the funding of the Program by electing to contribute on a monthly basis a fixed amount to be included in the monthly telephone bill, until cancelled by the customers. Telecommunications carriers may also use their directories to advertise the program. Telecommunications carriers shall inform customers verbally or in written format that they may contribute to the Program with all orders for new service installation. Customers may elect to contribute $.50, $1, $2, $5, $10, $15, or $25 per month per line.
• All telecommunications carriers must report and remit all donations received during the quarter within 30 days after the end of each calendar quarter to DCEO. In the event that no donations are collected during a quarter, a quarterly report must be submitted to DCEO or its designee certifying that zero voluntary donations were received.
The links below provide more information about the requirements for LECs to collect and remit voluntary contributions to DCEO.
• Regulations – Title 83, Chapter 1, Subchapter f, part 758.
• Fact Sheet – Program to Foster the Elimination of the Digital Divide
• Bill Insert – Model bill insert for use by LECs
• Remittance Form – Required for submittal of contributions and quarterly
For more information about requirements relating to remittance and reporting of voluntary contributions contact:
Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
500 East Monroe
Springfield, Illinois 62701-1696
Voluntary contributions are used to make grant awards to public and private organizations pursuant to the requirements of the Illinois Eliminate the Digital Divide Law (30 ILCS 780). Funds are awarded to eligible applicants (e.g. community-based organization, schools, libraries, park districts, etc.) through a competitive request for proposals (RFP) process.