2013 LIHEAP State Plan - Public Hearing
Draft 2013 LIHEAP State Plan and Program Integrity Supplement -- NOW AVAILABLE FOR REVIEW AND COMMENTS
PY 2012: New Option Available to Customers of Ameren Illinois, ComEd, Nicor Gas or Peoples Gas/North Shore Gas
For the first time, LIHEAP clients with the listed utility providers will have the option of choosing between the traditional Direct Vendor Payment (DVP) plan or the new Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP). Under PIPP, the eligible client will pay a percentage of their income, receive a monthly benefit towards their utility bill, and lower their overdue bills for every on-time payment they make by the bill due date. The traditional DVP plan is a one-time payment. The choices will be explained to LIHEAP clients during their application visit.
PY 2012 Plan Ahead and Bring Proper Documentation
Because of the new PIPP program, LIHEAP clients should plan for up to 30-45 minute wait times during their application visit. Do not forget to bring all required documentation at that time including:
· Proof of gross income from all household members for the 30-day period prior to the application date.
· A copy of current heat and electric bills issued within the last 30 days (if energy directly paid for).
· A copy of rental agreement (if renting) showing that utilities are included, the monthly rental amount and landlord contact information.
· Proof of Social Security numbers for all household members.
· Proof that household received TANF or other benefits, such as Medical Eligibility or SNAP, if receiving assistance from the Illinois Department of Human Services.
PY 2012 Application Schedule
|Beginning September 1, 2011
||Seniors, People with Disabilities|
|Beginning October 1, 2011
||Households with children under age 5|
|Beginning November 1, 2011
||All other eligible households|
Am I Eligible?
If your household’s combined income for the 30 days prior to application is at or below 150% of the federal poverty level as shown in the chart below, you may be eligible to receive assistance. If you rent, and your heat and/or electric is included in the rent, your rent must be greater than 30% of your income in order to be eligible to receive assistance.
||30 Day Income
How Do I Apply?
Contact your local Community Action Agency to make an appointment to apply for LIHEAP. Locate the Community Action Agency nearest you.
Frequently Asked Questions
LIHEAP Success Stories
Program Year 2012 Home Heating (Winter) Program: Download FY2012 LIHEAP Brochure.
For additional assistance, please feel free to call the
Energy Assistance Hotline at (877) 411-9276